Blog Header

Blog Header

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Strawberries

It's that time of year again, and I am loving it. There is something so satisfying about picking buckets and buckets of strawberries, turning them into jam/syrup, and enjoying the fruits of your labor. The more I have, the more content I feel. It may sound crazy and it's back breaking, but I just can't stop, and the rewards are plentiful. We have enjoyed strawberry shortcake, strawberry bread, toast piled high with jam, and Ryan's pb&j's are better than ever.

This year picking has been tricky, because it has been raining most of the weekends, when we do the majority of our picking, so I've taken along some helpers during the week to get the job done. Avery was my first helper. The first trip was just to see how the berries were doing this year. However, Avery was most intrigued with the outhouse and how that all works, but we did manage to pick a couple of buckets. It was fun.

The next time we went it was serious business. The farm was having a sale. You could pick 2 buckets and get the 3rd for free, so I intended to get as many buckets as we could pick in the time we were there. I had more help this time. The two youngest were more interested in the taste testing, so by the time we left they were covered in strawberries. We managed to get 13 buckets in a little over an hour. Success!

Ryan really wanted to go and pick strawberries, so one afternoon he and I went and picked four more buckets.

He was a very good helper

But wasn't all that interested in pictures

He should know better by now...

You come with me, and you will be posing.

What a good boy, Thanks for the help Ry! (since it is consumed mostly by you & Seth.)

1 comment:

Cristin said...

Yum!!! I want to take the boys one weekend soon!