Blog Header

Blog Header

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Kayaking


At the beginning of our summer break Casey, Ryan and I went Kayaking down the Broad River with some friends. They had went a few times before and loved it. I had never been. They assured me it was fun and I would enjoy it. I wasn't as enthusiastic about it, but I agreed to go and give it a try. I'm not sure what it is, but I've always had a slight fear of water sports. My best friend's family had a ski boat and would spend a lot of time behind their boat at the lake every summer. Every once in awhile I would tag along and attempt to get up on two skis. I'd get all dizzy and worked up and one time even managed to hit a boat with my body as I was coasting back in to the shoreline after letting go of the rope. I tried to be cool about it, but it only added to my trepidation towards water sports. And since I knew I'd be the only one in control of rowing and my upper body strength isn't tip top, I was a little concerned how this was going to play out.



All in all it wasn't too bad. I worked hard and maneuvered my Kayak where it needed to be. There were moments of peace as we strolled along the river, taking in the beautiful scenery. I only fell out once. However, as we approached our lunch break point, and I realized we were only 1/2 way through the course I became a little (a lot) concerned. It was at this point I realized we were kayaking 6.5 miles worth of the river. WHAT?? How did I not know this up front? 6.5 miles using nothing but my arms was a tough ride. I was in good shape for running, but this kinda thing is a whole different story.




They did say it was harder because the river was lower, which made our job a little more intense as far as avoiding rocks and debris that wouldn't have been there if the water level was where it should have been(made me feel a little vindicated in my exhausted state).



Meanwhile Ryan is standing, rowing, climbing in and out and swimming all around me - oh, to be young again!



It was a beautiful day, the view was fantastic, and it was good to say I'd accomplished something I didn't think was possible.



That being said, I don't know if it's on my top 5 activities to do again. I was sore for 2 weeks. It worked every muscle in my entire body from my feet to my shoulders. I was exhausted and could hardly move the next day. I definitely have a new appreciation for the sport of rowing. Yes, I know...I'm a wimp.



I was proud of myself for surviving with only one tip over, but next time I think I will let it be a father-son summer outing.



Great job boys!!


No comments: