Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gingerbread

For many years we have made gingerbread houses during the Christmas holiday. We would use graham crackers for the house itself & candy for the decorations. It was always fun and something that we looked forward to each year.
One year I even tried to make my own gingerbread, but when the sizes expanded after baking I realized I'm not a baking architect, and we went back to the graham cracker style house.


(This one's for you Heather)





This year I thought we'd be industrious & build a village. They were on sale at Michaels, so for the 1st time I picked up a kit...thinking it might be easier and less expensive(and they looked cute).



Boy was I WRONG!! The frosting was more like cement and wouldn't stick to the gingerbread, we couldn't figure out how the pieces fit together, and poor Ryan was waiting patiently for the buildings to become stable enough for him to be able to help(that never did happen). So, instead of a cute little gingerbread village that was suppose to have 5 houses, we ended up with 3 houses that would never pass inspection and were really not all that edible.





Our (not so pretty) village




Demolition



They may not have been the prettiest gingerbread houses on the block, but we still had fun!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I am so glad you experimented with the kit first. Thanks for the review. I almost get sucked into them every year and now I know. You are one of "those" moms, you know, the nice ones, who let their kids do projects even when they know they will be messy-kudos!