Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, April 24, 2015

Coping

The one question I have been asked the most these last 6 months besides how Casey is doing is how am I doing? I really appreciate all of the love and concern we have felt from everyone, but I remember the first time someone asked me that question - my first thought was, I'm fine. I wasn't the one in an unbelievable amount of pain, facing what seemed like the unimaginable task of recovery. It was compounded when Casey and I both went to our family physician soon after the accident and the doctor addressed Casey's needs and then turned to me and mentioned if I needed anything to not hesitate and call. I knew we had just experienced the hardest, most difficult trial of our married life, but all I could think of was how much worse it could have been. It REALLY could have been so much worse, and I knew how close we had come to that reality. I really was fine. Was I physically and mentally exhausted? Yes! Was I wondering if life would go back to normal, ever? Of course! Was I coping? If you search the internet you will find a variety of suggestions for coping with any sort of problem imaginable, but I've always been one to find coping mechanisms in my life - thanks (in part) to a mother who always bought herself a piece of clothing or chocolate when things weren't always easy in her task of raising a family of 7 children - haha! We all have our own ways of coping, and I found mine in a variety of activities over the course of the days, weeks, and months that we were traveling this unchartered new way of life - each one taking me to a place of comfort and peace that I needed at that particular time. I loved my morning runs. They were/are my meditation times. I have felt more promptings and inspiration on my runs than in any other times or places. I also received many texts and phone calls from friends and family members checking to see how things were going, as well as a few lunches out-Sometimes it's just nice to talk and have someone there to listen. On some days comfort came while immersing myself in making(and sampling) chocolates - the most delicious coping strategy, and I used it many times! Music was also a source of comfort-taking me to a happy place, or I had many times when I was led to a scripture that brought understanding, or feeling the loving arms of my Heavenly Father as he sent me messages from Heaven reaching out to let me know I was not alone. As hard as it was, it was also the most uplifting and awe inspiring time of my life. My family was and continues to be my greatest source of strength. They are my treasures on earth and in Heaven. I know we were watched over and lifted by those here and those who have passed. I felt that we had experienced a miracle of sorts and we were lucky to be where we were in our lives. I'm so very thankful for my faith, family and friends. You all have been such wonderful examples of service, kindness and love. Thank you for helping me cope!!

2 comments:

CThurman said...

I love the Ritz family so much! Lunch date soon!!! I miss seeing you. My prayers are always with you!

RitzFamilyHappenings said...

Thank you! Love & miss you too! Yes, lunch date soon!!