Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, May 22, 2020

Strawberries

I love this time of year for many reasons, but mainly for the sunshine and strawberries! I love picking strawberries and making jam. I knew this year would be different because the farm I usually go and pick from stopped selling their strawberries. I was no longer able to go and pick gallons and gallons of strawberries. I decided I would try another farm, which isn't as close, and I have only been a few times several years ago. However, because of the current situation they were only offering pick up. I couldn't go and pick my own, so it was more expensive and I wouldn't be able to select the berries I thought were the best. I was at the mercy of the pickers, which didn't turn out so well. The berries were small and flavor-less. I will not be going back. The berries in the stores were bigger and had a much better flavor, but I went ahead and made the jam. It was a very sad year for berry quality, and it didn't make me happy for the $$ I paid out for them($16 gallon as opposed to the $12 I had paid in previous years for U-pick).

Flashbacks from better years

But alas, we do have jam!

Our goal is to have our own plants! Hopefully in the near future that look like this...

No comments: